Best Meat Slicers 2017 – Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
Implements are great simplifiers of tasks. If you can get hold of an excellent tool, you can be sure to use the least effort to get the job done. Efficiency and neatness are very important. What so ever task you lay your hands on should be done with some level of proficiency and neatness.
A meat slicer is such an implement that will indeed simplify the meat cutting process for you. This will end up saving a lot of time that you can use doing other crucial tasks. In this comprehensive review article, I will present to you some of the best meat slicers and their features.
Meat Slicers And Their Importance In The Kitchen
A meat slicer is used to chop meat into pieces that are suitable for preparation. You definitely need a good meat slicer in your kitchen by all means. While initially, meat slicers were only common in the butcher’s shop, today there are several of them to be used in any kitchen at home.
No matter how good your knife may be, slicing the meat with it can be hectic at times. And since preparing your own meat and other delicacies can be such a daunting task, you can procure a meat slicer. This will perform all the slicing work for you. It will make your job to be simpler when you can pick it from already sliced meat.
Today, there are meat slicers that do not only slice the meat. They are also used to slice veggies, sausages, cheeses, and any other delicacy that you would wish to prepare. Furthermore, eating processed meats and packed sliced meat is not healthy.
They increase chances of contacting the cardiovascular diseases and even cancer. It is, therefore, an irrefutable fact that a meat slicer is an invaluable tool that you would not want to miss in your kitchen. It will help in preparing fresh and healthy meat for a meal.
Types of Meat Slicer
There are three types of meat slicers. These are categorized according to their sizes and capabilities. Depending on the intensity of the intended slicing, you can choose just the suitable slicer. Below are the different types.
1. Entry Level Slicers
These are also referred to as lightweight slicers. Their blades are small and are only suitable for use where casual slicing is just sufficient. Their capabilities are reduced and are of low power. If you are looking for a slicer to slice your food and also decorate the kitchen, then this level can make a good choice for you.
Slicers in this level are however not suitable for cutting cheese. This category does not possess suitable safety or convenience features.
2. Mid-Grade Slicers
Slicers in the mid-grade category are larger than those in the entry level. They have larger blades, more powerful motors and can also withstand the effects of constant use. They can be used to slice vegetables or meat for some few hours per day.
Some models in this tier can also handle cheese, though they are not still the best for the cheeses. Moreover, they come with a design that offers a higher level of user’s safety than the models in entry level
3. Premium Grade
They are also referred to as commercial-grade meat slicer. Machines in this category are designed to handle all manner of meat and other delicacy slicings best. The blades are bigger, and the motors have high horsepower compared to the other two categories.
They are also durable as well. They are safer to work with than the other categories. They are efficient, reliable and of good operation speed when in use.
Features To Consider When Choosing The Best Meat Slicer
In order to get just the best meat slicer that will serve you the intended purpose, you need to consider the following features.
Horsepower or Power of The Motor
It is the power of the meat slicer that will determine what you can do with it. If the power rating of the slicer is somewhere below 240 watts or 1/3 horsepower (1 horsepower= 746 watts), it may only be used in minimal slicing; you can not use such for cheese. So you better go for a higher horsepower slicer, if you intend to slice cheese and lots of frozen meat.
Size of The Cutting Blade
A majority of the entry level slicers are designed with a 7 inches wide blade. Those in the mid-level can range from about 7.5 inches to 9 inches. The premium category models can have blades that are as large as 14 inches.
The size that your meat slicer has will determine the capability with which it can slice a given size of meat. The bigger the blade, the larger the size of meat that it can slice. Some blades are also serrated. This makes them better in some slicing operations compared to the non-serrated ones.
For the premium grade slicers, there is an option of changing the blades. This is not in the entry level slicers.
The Size of The Food Tray
You should ensure that the food tray that you go for is sufficiently large. This will accommodate the largest items that you intend to slice. Most slicers have their trays ranging from 7 inches to 10 inches.
You should, therefore, consider whether the tray will be able to handle large sizes of items before you actually buy it.
Power Transfer Method Employed.
Slicers are either belt-driven or gear driven. Gear driven machines have higher longevity than the belt driven machines. Belt driven machines are however easier and cheaper to maintain, usually by just replacing the belt.
Having the price of the machine in mind will help you settle for a product that will serve you well and which is also within your budget.
The prices usually range from $50, for entry level, to some thousands of dollars for some units of the premium level slicers. You can also get some premium slicers at some hundreds of dollars.
Review Of The Five Best Meat Slicers
Through comparison of the available meat slicers on the market, here are some that I thought of to be the best.
1. KWS Premium Commercial 420w Electric Meat Slicer
The KitchenWare Station is a semi-automatic commercial meat slicer.It can be used for both domestic and commercial purposes. It is designed with silver which has a good looking appearance that makes it also suitable for decorating the kitchen.
You can also use it to slice almost all the foodstuff, ranging from fruits to cheese. If you are always worried about your safety while using meat slicers, you can be sure that you’ll be safe using this one because of the skid proof rubber feet. With a 12-inch stainless steel blade, this is the slicer you should consider buying.
Editor's Rating: 97/100
- 12 inches Premium Stainless Steel Blade
- Has an Aluminium Alloy Base
- Cutting Thickness ranges from 0.1 to 0.6 inches
- ETL NSF FDA Approved
- Its motor is rated at 420-Watts
- The weight of the product is 60.5 pounds.
- The 12 inches of Premium steel cutting blade makes it suitable for slicing large items
- It is a durable product since its body is made of Aluminium alloys
- It is an ETL, NSF, FDA approved the product.
- It has Skid-proof rubber feet which make it safe to work with
- Cleaning it is time-consuming
- It is heavy and costly
2.Chef's Choice 609 Premium Electric Food Slicer
It is constructed with a stainless steel or die-cast aluminum blade. It has adjustments for precision thickness control. The slices that can be produced by this meat slicer ranges from deli-thin to approximately one-inch thick slices.
It also has an intermittent and continuous on/off switch and special safety button which secures food carriage in enclosed position. This limits access to the blade when the slicer is not in use. The Chef’s choice 609 has an easy-to-clean design with the blade, food carriage, food pusher and food deflector being removable for easy cleaning.
Editor's Rating: 94/100
- It has a weight 10.3 pounds
- Has a power rating of 100 watts
- Powerful, high-torque, and cool-running electric motor
- Large-capacity and retractable food carriage
- Uses gears for slicing
- It has a 7-inch, multi-purpose and stainless-steel blade
- It produces Less Noise during operation
- It is durable since the critical parts are made of metal
- The slicer is cheap and affordable with the price of about $99.95. This is somewhat affordable
- It is automated, and therefore little attention is required
- Ease of Cleanliness and Maintenance
- It is safe to operate due to the intermittent “on/off” switch; the food carriage that locks position that prevents the access when the slicer is in operation; and a safety fuse that protect against surges
- It is a multi-purpose slicer that can be used for the general food slicing
- Comes with a serving tray
- Limited Power Source
- Relatively low Capacity
3. Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer with 8.7-Inch Blade
If you have never found a perfect slicer available at a pocket-friendly price, then this is what you have been looking for. It is perhaps one of the cheapest slicers with removable blades.
It is not so good for bulky food slicing, and probably not the best. Though considering its low price, it offers a relatively generous service.
This meat slicer has a very compact design that makes it attractive and reliable. With the dual safety feature, this is one of the safest meat slicers one can ever use. The only issue with this slicer is that one cannot produce very thin slices while suing it.
Editor's Rating: 94/100
- Entirely stainless steel sliding food carrier
- It has a power rating of around 180 watts
- aluminummade food press
- Double safety feature
- Weighs 13.2 pounds
- It has a light and compact design making storage and usage more convenient
- It is designed with a dual safety feature for protecting you and four skid-proof feet for stability
- Has a removable blade and the food carriage flips to the right which makes it easy to clean
- The price range for this slicer is cheap
- Does not come with a serving tray
- Noisy during operation
- You cannot produce very thin slices
4.PRIMO PS-12 Anodized Aluminum Meat Slicer, Belt Drive Transmission
This meat slicer is one of the robust, belt driven meat slicers which is undoubtedly among the best on the market.It has all the useful features that make it easy to slice up a whole domestic meat in the shortest period of time possible.
It is a quite durable and powerful appliance. If you decide to purchase this slicer for your kitchen use, then it is one of the best decisions you can make. It is also suitable for commercial purposes as well. It is very durable and will never corrode. It is ideal for handling your meat.
Editor's Rating: 90/100
- It has a 10 inches diameter blade
- The thickness of the slices ranges from 1 to 10 mm.
- Its housing is madeof anodized aluminumhence durable
- It has a Ring-guard and a built-in sharpener which are a package of the product
- The weight of the slicer is 39.5 pounds.
- Has long blade of 10 inches in diameter
- Its roller bearings are permanently lubricated.
- Has a safety ring guard.
- Corrosion resistant due to the anodized aluminum body.
- Cleaning it takes time
- Not suitable for large restaurants
5.Pro 10" Blade Electric Meat Slicer 240w 530RPM
A decision to purchase this slicer translates to a cost-effective decision on your part. The slicer is designed to slice any food item that you would wish to prepare. This 10 inches blade has a rotation speed of 530 rpm which facilitates faster slicing thereby reducing slicing duration.
If you have always desired to adjust the thickness of the meat slices, this meat slicer will make your dream come true. With the numerical scale knob, you can comfortably vary the thickness of your slices to your preference.
Editor's Rating: 90/100
- Has a cutting blade of 10 inches in diameter
- It is fitted with a numerical Scale Knob for adjusting the thickness of the slices
- The power rating of the slicer is 240 watts
- It has sharpening Control Buttons for controlling the whetstones
- The weight of the product is 50 pounds
- Has the numerical scale knobs together with an adjustable plate for controlling the sizes of the slices
- Has a powerful motor of 240 watts power rating
- Has a large blade hence suitable for cutting large items
- Safe to work with
- The slicer is heavy
- Not easy to clean
Wrapping It Up
We have come to the end of the review of the chosen five best meat slicers on the market. The information that we have provided are very key. And considering the various factors, we settle on the KWS Premium Commercial 420w Electric Meat Slicer as the choicest of them all.
This slicer is suitable for both the domestic as well as commercial use. With its powerful motor of 420 watts, this slicer can slice even the tough cheese as well as bulky frozen meat. It is also suitable for slicing even other foodstuffs. Its blade is also large enough even to slice large items.
Finally, do you think we made the right choice in recommending the KWS Premium Commercial Electric Slicer? If you disagree, please inform us in the comments section and tell us the one you’d prefer to be highly recommended.